Monday, December 01, 2008

In circles

It amazes me that once you think you have your preferences set, something comes along to mix it up. Take knitting needles, for example.

I like double points. I'm also tired of reading magic loop/2 circs is so much easier and the way to go. Now I don't give a hoot about the 'needle wars', I just don't like to be told that, if I was to just try one of the circular methods, I'd like circs so much better.

Well I've tried them, and I threw them down and picked up my DPNS once again.

The biggest trouble for me is that I HATE dealing with access cord or needle. I don't want to be constantly yanking a cable or fishing for a dangling circ end. I want my stitches and needles right there, front and center. This is the same reason why I'll only knit socks on 6" DPNs. I don't like all that wasted time sliding stitches around.

But poking around one day, I found these:

100_5362.JPG

9" long metal circs by Hiya Hiya. (I bought mine at the Knitting Zone). See how tiny it is next to the 16" Knitpicks needle? Cute! I've seen a couple people knitting socks on one short circ before and found it interesting, so I thought I'd try them.

The HiyaHiya needles are lovely. Something between an Addi Turbo and a Knitpicks Option needle. They are slicker then the KP needles and a bit less pointy, but not as blunt as the Addis. They are worth a try, since they are so cheap. They come with bamboo tips as well.

I started my sock toe up on DPNs until I had increased to the right size. I'm sure some smartypants can do this without the DPNS, but it seemed the easiest way to get started. I then moved the sock onto the shorty HiyaHiya circ.

I have noticed that the short needle tips lend themselves to Continental style knitting, so I've been doing that. I can throw with them which is my native method, but for some reason picking seems to work better. On this note, if you have meaty hands, the short needled circs may drive you crazy.


I haven't decided if the wee circs will replace my DPNS, but I have to say it's nice not to chase a dropped needle across the trolley floor when knitting in the city.

5 Comments:

At 7:13 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

My problem lies in the fact I just can't wrap my brain around circular needle sock instructions. I'm comfortable with my dpns!

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too love dpns. It seems like the circle would be TOO tight on a short circular. BUt I haven't even bothered to try. I know what I love, and I love making socks!

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, it always depends on my mood and the yarn as to which I pick. So I just have all the options available, lol...

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Batty said...

I used to think I haded ML... until I got sick of dropping needles on the train. Now, I love ML.
But I always, always use DPNs for toe-up socks. Weird, huh?

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Carol said...

I could tell you're from Philly even if I didn't see your Ravatar! So how is Philly doing these days? If you're not on a diet or anything, would you please have a cheesesteak, a pretzel and a Tasty Pie™ for me?♥

 

Post a Comment

<< Home